Monday, July 21, 2008

Interlibrary Loan of the day

They Moved My Bowl is a book of dog-themed cartoons from the New Yorker. Captain ILL loves doggies, but he's not a big fan of the New Yorker. He's never actually read the New Yorker, but he figures if he can't even figure out the New Yorker cartoons, he hasn't a prayer of understanding the non-illustrated portions of the magazine. Even so, these doggy cartoons seem to be pretty understandable, if a bit unfunny. Picture a woman talking to a little doggy who seems to be ignoring her. She says, "Yes, I'm talking to you. I believe you're the only Sparky in the house." Is Captain ILL the only one who thinks this is a bit tepid, humor-wise? Please share your opinions even if they disagree with the Captain's; he's always happy to ignore dissenting points-of-view.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BowlingJoe's favorite cartoon comes from some long lost Playboy magazine from the late 1970s (I used to read it for the cartoons).

It was set on a beach and involved a good looking couple and a pelican. The caption was, "When you said you mounted birds, I thought you meant your were a TAXIDERMIST". I don't think I need to go any further. Sorry Bowlingwidow if I crossed the line, but this is really between me and Captain ILL.

Having said this, BowlingJoe actually does subscribe to The New Yorker which really confuses a lot of my friends from the Olympic Peninsula.

Captain ILL said...

Bowlingjoe, your subscription to the New Yorker doesn't confuse me since you are obviously a multifaceted and complex character. Do you subscribe to any magazine with cartoons, or just the ones with literary and/or pulchritudinal merit?

BowlingWidow said...

BowlingWidow has to agree with The Captain's opinion of the New Yorker cartoons but her main problem with the magazine is that it just has way too much stuff about New York in it.

Anonymous said...

Like John Shaft, bowlingjoe is a "complicated man and no one understands him but his woman."

Wow, I had to look that long word up as I've never heard it before. It comes from only reading a few pages of the New Yorker each week and leaving it on the coffee table to make guests think that I'm some kind of a rennaissance man.