Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interlibrary Loan of the day

Captain ILL used to have a small, but precious collection of Lego when he was young, but he doesn't remember any naked Adams or Eves among his little bricks. The Brick Testament: Stories From the Book of Genesis tells various bible stories from a Lego point of view. In the introduction the author tells the story of how he was visited by God, who commanded him to illustrate the bible using Lego. Here's part of their conversation:

"But I'm an atheist," I protested.

"Then you are especially unqualified to question me!" came the response. "Now get to work!"

Now Captain ILL is not especially religious. In fact, as mentioned in an earlier post, he believes that the universe was created when it was sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure. However, a cursory glance through this book makes it clear that many of these stories are not suitable for children. Fratricide, genocide, filicide: many of the more popular forms of violence are well represented here, so check it out boys and girls!

2 comments:

BowlingWidow said...

As a mom who has sucked up many hundreds of dollars worth of Legos in the Oreck, I know that you can take the little heads off the Lego people. Given their similar body types, how do we know that Adam isn't really Eve and Eve isn't really Adam?

Captain ILL said...

My God bowlingwidow is right! I didn't notice that! I must have been too embarrassed to let my gaze wander down that low.