Thursday, June 12, 2008

Interlibrary Loan of the day

Everyone knows that you can use your eyes for seeing things with, but did you also know that they can also be used for activating sensory memory channels? This doesn't really have anything to do with this book, but the "Eyes" in Diamonds Behind My Eyes reminded Captain ILL of it. In fact, the Captain isn't even sure what "activating sensory memory channels" means, and it makes him very nervous to think that his eyeballs are doing this sort of thing without his permission. Someone once said "if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out", and it must have been somebody important that said it, since Captain ILL would not be likely to remember it otherwise. In any case, Captain ILL won't be doing any eye-plucking out, because without his eyes, where would he shoot the laser beams from?

3 comments:

groovelily said...

Just a little something to keep in mind.... "It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be cast into hellfire."

As most everyone knows, "activating sensory memory channels" is what happens when I ask a question. "Hey Captain, what color socks are you wearing today?" Oddly if you told the Captain that he had to answer you while keeping his laser beam shooting eyes looking straight ahead, he would have a hard time. Generally, people, yes even the superhero types, look up and off into distance to form a mental picture of them picking out their favorite socks and imagine themselves putting them on. This all happens in a split second. But there you have it. And, say you asked the captain, "what do you think it would sound like if Jimi Hendrix played humpty dumpty?" Well, research shows that the captain would look off to the side (ear level!) imagining in his mind what it would sound like. And lastly, "Hey Captain, what does it feel like to know that millions of people count on you every day to come up with something witty and entertaining?" Where would the Captains eyes go to then? Well, they go down. Down to search for the words that would conjure up feelings.

You too can be this brilliant. Information was gathered in from our very own overdrive download services. Watch out, informed groovelily's can be dangerous!

That is all. I must rest now. I feel (glancing down) weak. I.... must..... eat ..... a ...... snickers.....

David said...

My Mom still picks out my socks. I don't mind so much but sometimes I wish she'd let me make my own decisions for once. I get confused and upset and then I hear her voice in my head. Then I just want to...oh, there's the door. I have to get back to work at the motel.

Captain ILL said...

David, if I read the subtext correctly, you may want to have your mother examined by a qualified medical professional. In the meantime, try to avoid knives and showers.