Thursday, August 7, 2008

Interlibrary Loan of the day

If you're anything like Captain ILL, you sometimes have trouble making ends meet. Just re-stocking a utility belt with killer bee repellent, elbow grease, and grappling hooks can run into four figures, and that doesn't count replacement costumes, adamantine helmet polish, or anti-matter fuel for the ILL cart. That's why the Captain is so happy to see a book like The Smart Spending Guide: How to Cut Your Grocery Bills in Half, Save on Your Everyday Expenses, and Live Within Your Means. There are no entries for anti-matter, costumes, or killer bees in the index, but Captain ILL doesn't doubt that there is plenty of general advice that can be adapted to his particular requirements. For example, from page 130: "Window treatments, such as curtains and valances, can be found at reasonable prices at yard sales and thrift stores." Excellent! Captain ILL will be stopping at the Goodwill this evening to look into getting his hands on some second hand anti-matter.

9 comments:

David said...

Maybe you should consider dumpster diving behind one of those Super Stores.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with Smart Spending but I do want to applaud Captain ILL's decision to post some Marx Brothers dialogue. That one's right up there with Chico going over a contract with Harpo and telling him there's "no such thing as a Sanity Clause".

And one more thing to remember, Captain: bowling pins are evil and need to be booted.

BowlingJoe

Captain ILL said...

A Super Store like Wal-Mart? Do they carry anti-matter? Captain ILL had an embarrassing experience at Goodwill last night. It turns out that they don't even know what anti-matter is at Goodwill, and they certainly don't have any on their shelves.

Captain ILL said...

The Marx Brothers rock! If you haven't already, be sure and check out "The Groucho Letters", and especially his correspondence with Warner Brothers about their use of the word "Casablanca" in their movie "A Night In Casablanca".

Anonymous said...

I've read "The Essential Groucho" but not "Letters" I'll have to check it out. The letter you speak of is a classic, though.

My friend Robert (featured in the blog on occasion) is a Groucho fanatic and since I've known him has ended his e-mails the the famous quote about how it's too dark to read inside of a dog.

Way off topic here. Sorry Captain ILL. Please don't stare at me with your laser beam eyes.

Captain ILL said...

Don't worry, Captain ILL never uses his lasers on poor defenseless bowlers, and there's no such thing as off topic around here anyway.

That letter is truly a classic, but only the first part of the complete correspondence, so you'll need to read them all to get the whole picture.

David said...

Can anyone settle for me whether a famous Groucho quote is apochryphal or not? I hesitate to repeat it here, but it's attributed to when Groucho was on TV interviewing a woman with way too many kids (his repsonse involved a comment about his cigar).

Anonymous said...

I have indeed heard that quote before in which Groucho proclaims that even he takes his cigar out of his mouth sometimes.

I wasn't sure of its authenticity either though, so I contacted fellow-tortoise Tim today. He found it on page 252 of "The Essential Groucho".

According to Tim (who knows the book fairly extensively) it was an outtake that never saw the light of day on the "You Bet Your Life" game show that he hosted in the 50s.

Anonymous said...

Groucho: You have 22 children! Why do you have so many children? That’s a big responsibility and a big burden.

Woman: Well, because I love children, and I think that’s our purpose here on earth, and I love my husband.

Groucho: I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.