Friday, August 29, 2008

Interlibrary Loan of the day

The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions is one of the greatest books ever to be interlibrary loaned. This is a book full of "bizarre and logic-defying gadgets and gizmos, which must work but are actually entirely impractical". Some samples include: the Hydrophobe's Bath Body Suit, a giant plastic baggie you can crawl inside before settling in the bathtub. Then there's the Umbrella Drip Collector, a small plastic cup that attaches to the tip of your umbrella to prevent it dripping on the floor. And of course there are the Detachable Tooth Covers so you don't have to brush after every meal. These descriptions simply don't do justice to all the marvelous gadgets in this book. Pick up a copy so you can see these wonderful things in full living color!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm surprised we don't own this. I've found this to be a great booktalk title for middle school kids.

Captain ILL said...

Dawn, surely you can use your influence as Teen Services Coordinator to get this marvelous book added to the library. I've already adapted my umbrella to be dripless, but I had to pass the book on to the patron without absorbing it fully. Please?

Anonymous said...

OMG!! My son (known to you as the Mayor of Awesometown) gave me this book a few months ago. As Dawn says, it is a great book for middle schoolers and old people with middle school brains.

Dawn said...

Well, I've put in a request. And begged. I'll hold back from leaving sushi in Becky's mailbox for now...

Captain ILL said...

Perhaps Poly can use some of her influence as well, even though she already owns this one. The folks in Circulation Services showed me a similar book yesterday that we do own, but now I can't remember the title.